web stats

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

plates in the backyard

Inam Ahmed
Source: Inam Ahmed
Anil was living happily away from here. But then he suddenly found that his belongings – plates, glasses, and even mats – are vanishing into the blues. A tight watch round the clock could not stop the mystery. He went to the priests who said spirits are angry with him and so he has to make them happy with offerings.
So Anil had to spend a hefty amount and soon his lost articles started reappearing around his house. His quilt found on the fence, plates in the backyard.
“I was scared. I knew my friend had come here to start life anew. So one day, I also packed up and came,” he said.
Anil will also move to a new patch next year.
Dinner consisted of venison, pumpkin and leaves of potato plants to go with chili paste.
The lights went out and I lay there on the bamboo perch and looked out. The whole world was now washed over with moonlight.
I felt sad and my heart was heavy. With Jhum cultivation starting here, this forest has no future. If seven stadium-sized patches are cleared every year by these seven families, how long will it take for the forest to disappear? Five to ten years at best? Because once it is depleted the remaining forest will have no value.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

WEATHER


web stats

online


counters

Sample text